Friday, May 8, 2015

Footprints at Eleven Mile State Park


One of the most fascinating things to happen to me in transitioning to a fine art painter is that I am finding paintings yet to be created everywhere I turn, which is especially true living in Colorado. This place is beautiful and just begs to be painted, but I've been to Colorado before and yet I'm seeing some of the same terrain with different eyes it seems. That's the case with this particular scene, which I would have all but ignored previously.

My family had spent Christmas in the mountains and were returning home to Colorado Springs. On the way we stopped by Eleven Mile State Park near Lake George, CO to snap some photos of the large reservoir now covered in ice and snow and the beautiful trees and rocks which surround it. We snapped the photos we were after and turned to head back to the car. On the way I looked up and saw this little scene of a tree near some rocks with some low rolling mountains in the background. The atmosphere created just the right depth, the only thing it needed was some footprints to lead the viewer in and help tell a story, which I added while painting the scene. I was pretty pleased with this simple scene when I finished, something I've been struggling to feel for a while now.

Oil on canvas, mounted to board, 11" x 14"

To purchase this piece please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment